1923-08: Bolado Park Becomes a County Recreation Center

August, 1923 – Bolado Park became a county recreation center when Julia Bolado Davis gave the San Benito County Farm Bureau a lease on her property.

Advertisements

1868-01-01: End of Manuel Salvador Larios’ Estate’s Lease Term with Moon and Bixbys.

January 1, 1868 – End of lease term (agreement of 12/9/1865): Manuel Salvador Larios to G. A. Moon, A. S. Bixby, T.F. Bixby: of the Rancho Santa Ana containing 5.5 leagues of land excepting one tenth, also 1500 acres and other exceptions.

Term: 2 years from 1st January 1866 with the privilege of 3 years more at yearly rent of $1500.

Book A of leases, pp 195

1866-01-01: Lease Term Begins for Rancho Santa Ana – Manuel Larios [Estate] to G.A. Moon, A.S. Bixby, T.F. Bixby

January 1, 1866 – Beginning of Lease Term (agreement of 12/9/1865): Manuel Larios [Estate] to G. A. Moon, A. S. Bixby, T.F. Bixby: of Rancho Santa Ana containing 5.5 leagues of land excepting one tenth, also 1500 acres and other exceptions.

Term: 2 years from 1st January 1866 with the privilege of 3 years more at yearly rent of $1500.

Book A of leases, p. 195

1865-12-09: Lease of Rancho Santa Ana by Manuel Larios to G. A. Moon, A. S. Bixby, T.F. Bixby

December 9, 1865 – Lease: Manuel Larios to G. A. Moon, A. S. Bixby, T.F. Bixby: of Rancho Santa Ana containing 5.5 leagues of land excepting one tenth, also 1500 acres and other exceptions.

Term: 2 years from 1st January 1866 with the privilege of 3 years more at yearly rent of $1500.

Book A of leases, pp 195

1862-03-05: Manuel Larios leased Rancho Santa Ana to John Searle & JB Wynn for 3 years

Wednesday, March 5, 1862 – Manuel Larios leased to John Searle and JB Wynn Rancho Santa Ana containing 5 leagues; 3 years from April 1st; $2000/year payable half yearly. Part was reserved to Antonio Larios.

Libr. A of Leases pp 117.

Published in: on March 5, 1862 at 12:00 am  Leave a Comment  

1855-11-09: Lease to Lynch and Roeding of San Francisco by Larios

Friday, November 9, 1855: Lease to Francis E. Lynch & Frederick Roeding of San Francisco by Manuel Larios, Jose Maria Larios, Manuel Larios Jr., Juliana Martina Larios de Soto and Melicia Soto – ???, Garcia (sic: Gracia) de las Mercedes Larios:

Partition of Rancho Santa Anita and Quien Sabe set off and awarded to Larios as recorded in Book A of agreements pp 64.

5 years from 1 Jan 1856 for a yearly rent of $2000 payable half yearly; excepting Hawes/Jones tenth interest.

NOTE: This must have been only part of Rancho Santa Anita, not Quien Sabe.


http://www.fremontica.com/roadside/cnco.htm

1850-1858: Joaquin Bolado leased Rancho San Luis Gonzaga from Francisco Pacheco & Mariano Malarin

“…All preparations having been made, [Joaquin Bolado] left San Blas, with his expedition, on the Schooner Maria, June 26, 1849, arriving at Monterey, California, after a voyage of about sixty-two days.

They went to what is now Watsonville, secured six carts (carretas del pais) and went to the Tuolumne River and commenced to work the gold placers near Major Savage’s camp. Their success here, however, was not great, and they went to the camp at Sonora, where most of the people they had brought up from Mexico left them.

Mr. Bolado returned to San Jose and engaged in general merchandising, in partnership. A year afterward he contracted with Francisco Pacheco to take the San Luis [Gonzaga] Ranch for eight years, in partnership with Ripa Pagaza and Castaños, also from Spain. On this land they pursued the livestock business, being very successful, as their profits in six years were nearly $200,000! Butchers would come to their ranch from points as remote as Sonora, Campo Americano, Angel’s, etc., while they also found market in San Francisco and elsewhere. He was so engaged for eight years.”

A Memorial and Biographical History of the Coast Counties of Central California. The Lewis Publishing Company. 1893. Henry D. Barrows, Luther A. Ingersoll, Editors. p. 345.

———————————-

“…he contracted to lease Pacheco’s Rancho San Luis Gonzaga on the Pacheco Pass from Mariano Malarin, Pacheco’s son-in-law, to run livestock in partnership with a pair of Spaniards named Ripa Pagaza and Castaños.”

Source: Pierce, Marjorie. “East of the Gabilans” Valley Publishers, c 1976 Library of Congress: 76-56566. ISBN: 0-913548-39-1.

———————————-

See also: http://www.scu.edu/desaisset/exhibits/portrait.html

See also: http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/21299/files/pacheco-sp-preliminary-gp-eir-1-07-04.pdf

PACHECO STATE PARK Preliminary General Plan and Draft Environmental Impact Report SCH No. 2003121089, p. 51,

“As a result of the Gold Rush of 1849, and the discovery of gold in the Kern River in 1853, the Pacheco Pass area saw a dramatic increase in the number of travelers and became a favorite haunt for bandits and outlaws. This included the infamous Joaquin Murieta and his gang, who reportedly frequented the San Luis aguajes (waterhole) (Shumate 1977). In light of the rugged and often lawless nature of his new rancho, Pacheco moved his family away to the safety of Monterey in 1851. Shortly after this period, Pacheco leased the rancho to his son-in-law, Mariano Malarin, to operate a herding operation to supply meat to San Francisco and miners in Sierra foothill towns (Hill et al. 1996, Shumate 1977). After Pacheco’s departure, the rancho headquarters and the adobe may have been abandoned, becoming an ideal hideout for Murieta. It was at this location in 1853 that Captain Harry Love, a deputy sheriff for Los Angeles County, and a contingent of State Rangers cornered Murieta and his gang, who were apparently on their way to the Mother Lode region to stage a large horse-theft raid. Although the raid itself was thwarted, Murieta and all of his men still managed to escape, despite eyewitness accounts that Love had most of them cornered in the Pacheco ranch adobe (Latta 1980).

Although several preliminary moves to establish a railroad through Pacheco Pass were made during the 19th century (Adler and Wheelock 1965, Eldredge 1915), transportation through the area remained centered on trails and roadways. These routes became more formalized in 1857 when Andrew Firebaugh completed a toll road over the pass. A year later the Butterfield Stage Lines started regular runs along this roadway, but these only lasted until 1861 (Shumate 1977). Pacheco’s Rancho San Luis Gonzaga became a regular stop for the stage and an inn and stables were soon constructed to service travelers.”