1869: Bolado Supports Malarin’s Claim that 1859 Survey of Rancho San Luis Gonzaga was in Error

“Before the San Luis Gonzaga land was confirmed, a lengthy dispute arose over the boundaries” …

“They stated that much of the land in [U.S. Deputy Surveyor James E.] Terrell’s survey was “rocky,” “worthless,” and inferoro to the vacant landd to the east extending to the San Joaquin River, an original boundary. Joaquin Bolado (Bolado Park is named in his honor), who leased San Luis Gonzaga land in the 1850’s, testified the survey could not have been made in a “worse manner.””

“The government replied that the survey had been accepted for ten years and that the lands outside the 1859 survey had been sold.”

Shumate, Dr. Albert. Francisco Pacheco of Pacheco Pass. University of the Pacific, 1977. p.21

Advertisements

1859: First Telegraph lines crossed Pacheco Pass to Join San Francisco and Los Angeles in 1860

1859: “The first telegraph line from San Francisco reached Los Angeles in 1860. This line erected by the Pacific and Atlantic Telegraph Company followed the Butterfield Route and crossed the Pacheco Pass in 1859.”

Shumate, Dr. Albert. Francisco Pacheco of Pacheco Pass. University of the Pacific, 1977. p.4

Published in: on January 1, 1859 at 5:36 am  Leave a Comment  

1850-1858: Joaquin Bolado leased Rancho San Luis Gonzaga from Francisco Pacheco & Mariano Malarin

“…All preparations having been made, [Joaquin Bolado] left San Blas, with his expedition, on the Schooner Maria, June 26, 1849, arriving at Monterey, California, after a voyage of about sixty-two days.

They went to what is now Watsonville, secured six carts (carretas del pais) and went to the Tuolumne River and commenced to work the gold placers near Major Savage’s camp. Their success here, however, was not great, and they went to the camp at Sonora, where most of the people they had brought up from Mexico left them.

Mr. Bolado returned to San Jose and engaged in general merchandising, in partnership. A year afterward he contracted with Francisco Pacheco to take the San Luis [Gonzaga] Ranch for eight years, in partnership with Ripa Pagaza and Castaños, also from Spain. On this land they pursued the livestock business, being very successful, as their profits in six years were nearly $200,000! Butchers would come to their ranch from points as remote as Sonora, Campo Americano, Angel’s, etc., while they also found market in San Francisco and elsewhere. He was so engaged for eight years.”

A Memorial and Biographical History of the Coast Counties of Central California. The Lewis Publishing Company. 1893. Henry D. Barrows, Luther A. Ingersoll, Editors. p. 345.

———————————-

“…he contracted to lease Pacheco’s Rancho San Luis Gonzaga on the Pacheco Pass from Mariano Malarin, Pacheco’s son-in-law, to run livestock in partnership with a pair of Spaniards named Ripa Pagaza and Castaños.”

Source: Pierce, Marjorie. “East of the Gabilans” Valley Publishers, c 1976 Library of Congress: 76-56566. ISBN: 0-913548-39-1.

———————————-

See also: http://www.scu.edu/desaisset/exhibits/portrait.html

See also: http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/21299/files/pacheco-sp-preliminary-gp-eir-1-07-04.pdf

PACHECO STATE PARK Preliminary General Plan and Draft Environmental Impact Report SCH No. 2003121089, p. 51,

“As a result of the Gold Rush of 1849, and the discovery of gold in the Kern River in 1853, the Pacheco Pass area saw a dramatic increase in the number of travelers and became a favorite haunt for bandits and outlaws. This included the infamous Joaquin Murieta and his gang, who reportedly frequented the San Luis aguajes (waterhole) (Shumate 1977). In light of the rugged and often lawless nature of his new rancho, Pacheco moved his family away to the safety of Monterey in 1851. Shortly after this period, Pacheco leased the rancho to his son-in-law, Mariano Malarin, to operate a herding operation to supply meat to San Francisco and miners in Sierra foothill towns (Hill et al. 1996, Shumate 1977). After Pacheco’s departure, the rancho headquarters and the adobe may have been abandoned, becoming an ideal hideout for Murieta. It was at this location in 1853 that Captain Harry Love, a deputy sheriff for Los Angeles County, and a contingent of State Rangers cornered Murieta and his gang, who were apparently on their way to the Mother Lode region to stage a large horse-theft raid. Although the raid itself was thwarted, Murieta and all of his men still managed to escape, despite eyewitness accounts that Love had most of them cornered in the Pacheco ranch adobe (Latta 1980).

Although several preliminary moves to establish a railroad through Pacheco Pass were made during the 19th century (Adler and Wheelock 1965, Eldredge 1915), transportation through the area remained centered on trails and roadways. These routes became more formalized in 1857 when Andrew Firebaugh completed a toll road over the pass. A year later the Butterfield Stage Lines started regular runs along this roadway, but these only lasted until 1861 (Shumate 1977). Pacheco’s Rancho San Luis Gonzaga became a regular stop for the stage and an inn and stables were soon constructed to service travelers.”